I love little portable snacks. If they're salty, all the better. This little snack packs a nutritional punch AND keeps me from answering the siren call of our vending machine at work. It takes a little prep time, but in the end, you've got a snack that's about 150 calories for a 1/2 c. serving. Perfect! YUM!
- 1 (12 ounce) can chickpeas (garbanzo beans), drained or 2c. dry chickpeas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- salt (optional)
- garlic salt (optional)
- cayenne pepper (optional)
- Note: I used Johnny's Great Ceasar Garlic Spread and Seasoning, which is delicious!
DirectionsIf using dry beans: The night before baking, put chickpeas in a pot with water that covers them. Add 1T salt, 1 tsp. baking soda, 1T flour (I don't know the science behind this mixture, but it works! No one wants a half-cooked chickpea. Blargh!)
Get water boiling and then reduce to a simmer for 45 minutes to 1 hour. Rinse beans in colander and put back in pot with enough water to soak them in. Let sit overnight (10-12 hours)Enjoy!
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F (230 degrees C).
- Blot chickpeas with a paper towel to dry them. Put in baking pan to dry roast for 30 minutes.
- Turn them every 10 minutes
- In the last 10 minutes of baking, add olive oil and spices. Watch your garbanzos carefully so that they don't burn.
- Try to let them cool before you eat them. SO delicious!