Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Simplicity 2599 (View C-ish) • Gauzy Tank Top

 After the Chanel jacket v.1.0  fiasco learning experience, I needed a palette cleanser. I'm really pleased with how this turned out!

Pattern Description: Tank top with button closure and bust darts.

Pattern Sizing: P5 (12–20).

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes! Although I didn't make their ruffles.

Were the instructions easy to follow? I didn't even read them. I take this as a sign that I'm improving as a sewer – instructions, shmanstructions!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? The bust darts add some nice shaping, otherwise it's a pretty standard pattern. Went together in about 3 hours.

Fabric Used: Variegated polyester gauze from the stash that shreds like crazy. I'm thinking I spent about $3 for all of it. This top was based on a design I saw one of the "What Not To Wear" (UK) ladies wearing a few years ago.

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: High round back adjustment and added 2 inches to the length. I graded the 14 out to a 18 in the hips. I made MILES of bias strips to ruffle and roughen up for the "carnation" ruffles in the front. I basically played with the variegated fabric until I was happy with the results. I skipped the neck and armhole facings and bias bound them instead. All of the exposed edges are "roughed up" for a more deconstructed, modern feel.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Yes, I'd recommend it to anyone. It was quick and easy.

Conclusion:
It's a modern, fresh, fun spin on the classic tank top. I'll wear it with everything.

1 comment:

  1. That stash project turned out FAB!!! Can't wait to see it in person tonight! =)

    ReplyDelete