Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Sewaholic Patterns || Minoru Jacket

Fun in black and white!
Winter is gross! It's time to make a spring raincoat!



Minoru Pattern Description:
The Minoru Jacket is a zip-front weekend jacket with a secret hood hidden inside the wide collar! If you prefer, skip the hood and let the dramatic collar be the focus. Flattering raglan sleeves are comfortable and easy-to-sew, and the elastic waistline creates a slim, curve-hugging silhouette.

Pattern Sizing:
0-16 (all sizes are included in one pattern!) Mine is a 14.

So versatile and stylish! Fun!
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? It does! My fabric is a little crazy, tho, so you don't see all of the fabulous details that Tasia included in this pattern. It fits like a dream with enough room inside for a sweater if it gets cold.

Were the instructions easy to follow? The written pattern directions were vetted by eleventy-hundred pattern testers before publication, so if you can read, you can do this! Tasia also provided a sew-a-long (which I participated in), and I felt that even though it took more time, I got a lot of great tips that I'll be using again!

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love the hidden hood inside the collar. The inside pockets and nipped waist make this a favourite pattern. I've got a smallish head, tho, so next time I'll draft the hood a little smaller.

Fabric Used: I'm stashbustin' again. This 100% cotton home dec fabric is from Ikea that I've been holding onto it for more than two years. I'm glad I finally used it but its heaviness made gathering the neckline a real PITA.
I also used Scotchguard to weatherize it. The inside is a peacock-coloured static-free acetate lining. 

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: No pattern alterations (a rare treat!), but I added hidden side-seam pockets (a first!). Next time, I'll use this tutorial and add front pockets. I just can't get enough pockets! I'll also use a different zipper. This one was marked for a parka and has a little joiner at the bottom that makes it a little fiddly to zip up.


Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I absolutely will make this pattern again. I'm seeing a red jacket in my future...

Conclusion: I love this coat. LOVE it! It was worth all the time and effort I put into it! Thank you, Tasia!

4 comments:

  1. Oh Darci, this is GAW-GUSS!! You did a fabulous job, and I adore this black and white fabric! Definitely a red version would be lovely too!
    You are right we are going walkabout, but somewhere new this time ;) I will share more details closer to the time... (squeee)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you gals "walk-a-bout" was the bomb. :-)

      Delete
  2. Just when I think I have seen them all . . . another Minoru and I am absolutely loving what you sewists are doing with it. I hope to have the pattern soon and am planning my first Minoru (thus the Google search for it).

    Thank you for this eye candy.

    Cheers,

    Lyric
    https://www.sewlyricallyvintage.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Nice Article. If you want to buy Warm up Jackets by from HY Supplies Inc. https://hysupplies.net/warm-up-scrub-jackets

    ReplyDelete