Thursday, May 26, 2011

KS3408 || Painterly Wrap Dress

Ready for my clean getaway! LOL

I've got a thing for wrap dresses. They're quick, they're easy to throw on when you're making a clean getaway (Diane!! Shocking!), and they always make me look so put-together and stylish. Love that! They also look fantastic with boots, flats AND sandals. A trifecta of footwear!

That being said, I've made three wrap (and faux-wrap) dresses in the past, and until now, was never successful. Either the fabric was wrong, the flippy facings bugged me, the armholes were too low, it gaped in the front skirt area when I sat or I just couldn't keep the darn thing closed in the bodice. Argh. The KS3408 is the first wrap dress pattern I would consider a total, unmitigated success.

Pattern Description: Misses' fitted wrap dresses have a waist seam, a slightly flared skirt, a V-neckline, bust darts, and self-fabric ties. View A has long sleeves and is over-knee length; View B has 3/4 length sleeves and above-knee length. I made View B with even shorter sleeves.


Pattern Sizing: XS - XL. Mine is a Medium, even tho most of my measurements were in the "Large" column. The pattern has enough ease in it to go down a size (with additional alterations). I wanted it to be relatively close fitting.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes, it did!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Terrifically easy. Kwik Sew does a great job with instructions and diagrams.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? I love that it has enough walking ease in the skirt to stay closed, the neckline is drafted so it won't gape, even if you don't use clear elastic there. Construction was fast and easy, and, as I have a long torso, I didn't have to add my usual inch to the length of the bodice. (the weight of the skirt pulls it down.) That's a lot of good things in one little pattern.

Fabric Used: ITY Knit from JoAnn

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I have narrow shoulders, so I removed 1/4" from there (didn't alter the sleeve). I did a 1/2" FBA, added 1/2" high round back adjustment and removed 1-1/2" from bodice length so that the seam would fall at my high waist (the skinniest part!). I also doubled the width of the ties and added 10" to the tie length. I might add 10-15" more length next time, as it might be fun to wrap it around another time. Instead of hemming, I used my serger's roll hem feature on the neckline and hem. I'll probably go back and shorten the sleeves even more and roll hem them as well. We'll see...

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? This is, hands down, the best drafted wrap dress pattern I've used. I highly recommend it, and will definitely make it again. (And again, and again.)

Conclusion: I love this dress. If you can get your hands on the OOP pattern, it's a timeless, easy classic piece to add to your wardrobe.

No comments:

Post a Comment