Wednesday, May 5, 2010
McCall's 5974 • Mosaic Print Dress
Pattern Description: Dresses A, B, C, D have bodice variations with front pleats, neckline variations, self-faced midriff, pleated skirt front, back zipper and sleeves in three lengths; dresses A, B have scoop neck; dress A has short sleeves; dress B has long sleeves; dresses C, D have wrapped bodice, “V” neck and self-ties; dress C has three-quarter length sleeves; dress D has long sleeves; dresses A, B, C, D length is 1" below mid-knee.
I made view C.
Pattern Sizing: B5(8-10-12-14-16), RR(18W-20W-22W-24W)
Mine was a straight 14 (woo-hoo!)
Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Better, I think!
Were the instructions easy to follow? Super, super easy. I like that the pattern included tissue fitting instructions. I took the pattern alterations class thru the Palmer Pletsch school of sewing and found the pattern instructions to be like a mini-course. This would be VERY helpful to folks who haven't tissue-fit before.
What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? That darn zipper! Who puts a zipper in a knit dress? I mean, really. That had to go. Also, the ties extend from your armpit down to your high hip. That wasn't going to work for me.
Fabric Used: ITY Knit Jersey. This busy print covers up a multitude of sins. A solid might not be so forgiving.
Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: This dress required far fewer adjustments than I normally do.
• 1/2" added for the high round back
• Added 8" to the ties to ensure that they'd be long enough to wrap around me
• Cut the side tie width down 2" so that it would focus attention on my high waist, not my high armpit
• I left the waist markings at the skinniest part of my waist (high waist?) so that the fabric would flow out from there. It makes me look thinner and I love that!
• I cut the back piece on the fold, ensuring that the neckline wouldn't gape. This reduced the amount of fabric in the hem of the skirt. It may not be as twirly, but I like the streamlined back a lot.
Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? I HIGHLY recommend this pattern. It only took about 3 hours to sew, once the pattern fitting was completed.
Conclusion: Just make it. This is a great go-to dress!