Did you know you could make your own microwave popcorn? I came across this idea the other day (thank you, Alton Brown!) and thought I'd share. No more fake butter smell! It's less than 200 calories! And it's cheap, cheap, cheap to make. Hurray!
DIY Microwave PopcornOther topper options:
Toss the popcorn with the olive oil and salt in the paper bag. Fold the top of the bag over twice to close. Place the bag in the microwave and microwave on high for 2 minutes to 3 minutes, or until there are about 5 seconds between pops.
- 1/4 c. popcorn
- 1 tsp. olive oil or peanut oil (optional, but it makes the toppings stick to the popped corn better)
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- Paper lunch bag
- Kettle Korn: 2 T. sugar
- Chocolate popcorn: 2 T. powdered sugar, 1 T. cocoa powder, 1/4 tsp. salt, 1/8 tsp. cinnamon
- Cajun: 2 tsp. paprika, 1 tsp. onion powder, 1 T. garlic salt, 1/2 tsp. black pepper, 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- Southwestern: 1-1/2 tsp. chili powder, 2 T. salt, 1 T. ground cumin
- Italian: 1/4 c. finely grated Parmesan cheese, 1/2 tsp. dried oregano, 1/2 tsp. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- Curry: 1 T. curry powder, 2 T. salt, 1/4 tsp. black pepper, 1 tsp. turmeric, 1 pinch cayenne pepper