Monday, July 30, 2012

S2692 || ZigZagZoom Dress




Ever see a fabric from across a crowded room that makes your heart skip a beat, your palms sweat and your breathing race? Maybe it’s just me? I spied this ziggy fabric at the Puyallup Sewing Expo in March and just KNEW I had to have it. Like many of my stash fabrics, I had no idea what to do with it, and so it sat, uncut in my stash for four months while I pondered. And pondered. And pondered.

And then this pattern caught my eye, and I knew it was “the one”. Le sigh.

S2692 Pattern Description: Misses Special Occasion Dress or Gown. Can be sewn up in either knits or special occasion wovens like silks, charmeuse, crepe de chine and georgette. (How’s THAT for versatile?)

Pattern Sizing: 4-12, 12-20. Mine is a 14 in the bust, and a 16 in the hips.

Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it? Yes!

Were the instructions easy to follow? Really, really easy. Lots of great line drawings and super clear instructions. This would be a great beginning sewer’s dress, especially if sewn in a knit.

What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern? Cutting it out took the longest time, but sewing it up was really quick. Initially, I used the zigzag fabric for the center, empire waist section, but after assembly, realized that it would look infinitely better in another colour. Luckily, I had some brown jersey scraps in my stash and ripping it/replacing was quick.

Fabric Used: ITY knit from Vogue Fabrics. It doesn’t roll! It doesn’t roll!

Pattern alterations or any design changes you made: I’m on a “I’m not hemming it unless I have to” kick, so I didn’t hem this dress. I also skipped the zipper insertion as the dress pulls on easily over my head. Instead of placing all of the gathers at CF and CB, I distributed them evenly across both skirt pieces. I like this look much better.

Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others? Absolutely, I’d sew it again. Maybe next time in a special occasion fabric?

Conclusion: It's a great little dress with lots of zany zip! I’d absolutely sew it up if you’re looking for a way to use your novelty knit!

1 comment: